News & Events
- Partner Robert Marticello published by the Los Angeles Daily Journal in its Top Bankruptcy Lawyers Supplement -
regarding the bankruptcy cases of Purdue Pharma, L.P., and LTL Management, LLC, aka Johnson & Johnson, With Bankruptcy Court’s Extraordinary Power Comes Great Responsibility – and Some Negative Publicity
Aug 31, 2022
- Six Attorneys recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023 -
Partners Philip Strok, Kyra Andrassy, Robert Marticello, Kraig Kilger, and Associates Michael Simon and Timothy Evanston have been recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2023 in the areas of Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Aug 31, 2022
- Partner Robert Marticello was interviewed by the Los Angeles Business Journal regarding the state of the Hotel Industry -
Feb 7, 2022
- Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall featured on the Daily Journal's Podcast with host Howard Miller -
Dec 7, 2020
- Partner Robert Marticello was featured as a panelist on the OCBA Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section Webinar -
“Flatten the Curve”: A Panel Discussion on the “Novel” Issues Impacting Bankruptcy Cases Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
May 28, 2020
- Partner Robert S. Marticello Quoted in Southern California Record -
May 8, 2020
- An article by Partner Robert S. Marticello was published in the Daily Journal regarding steps businesses can take now to help navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and relief that is currently available, including under the recently-passed stimulus package and the increase in the debt limitation for small businesses from $2.7 million to $7.5 million under the Small Business Reorganization Act. -
Mar 30, 2020
- Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall to be awarded Attorney of the Year -
Lei Lei Wang Ekvall will be honored as Attorney of the Year by the Orange County Women Lawyers Association on October 3, 2019 at the 44th OCWLA Gala
Sep 10, 2019
- Four partners recognized by Best Lawyers® for 2020 -
Lei Lei Wang Ekvall, Philip Strok, Kyra Andrassy, and Robert Marticello have been recognized by Best Lawyers in America© 2020 in the areas of Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Sep 9, 2019
- Partner Robert S. Marticello provides insight to Los Angeles Daily Journal on the recent amendments to Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code for Small Businesses: Bankruptcy Code Changes Offer Relief to (Very) Small Businesses -
Sep 5, 2019
- Partner Robert S. Marticello is quoted in a recent article by Billboard regarding the recent ABC of All Def Digital. You can read the full article here: -
All Def Digital Files for Insolvency, Owes $50K to Freelancers: Sources | Billboard
Jul 26, 2019
- Bankruptcy can provide landlords a safe harbor from retail storm by Robert S. Marticello -
A federal bankruptcy court approved the $5.2 billion sale of Sears’ assets to ESL Investments, the hedge fund owned by Sears’ chairman and former CEO Eddie Lampert. However, prior to Sears ...
Feb 21, 2019
- Three partners recognized as Super Lawyers for 2019 -
Lei Lei Wang Ekvall, Kyra Andrassy, and Robert Marticello have once again been recognized as Southern California Super Lawyers, and Kyra Andrassy was also recognized as one of the Top 50 lawyers in Orange County for 2019.
Feb 12, 2019
- Partners Philip E. Strok and Robert S. Marticello provide expert analysis to Law 360: Sears’ Biggest Sale (Itself) Offers Valuable Lessons For Retail -
Sears remains, on many levels, a cautionary tale for the retail industry.
Jan 17, 2019
- Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall recognized as a Women of the Year Nominee by the Orange County Business Journal -
Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall recognized as a Women of the Year Nominee by the Orange County Business Journal
May 23, 2018
- Partner Kyra E. Andrassy named a 2018-2019 California Bankruptcy Forum Conference Co-Chair -
Partner Kyra E. Andrassy named a 2018-2019 California Bankruptcy Forum Conference Co-Chair
May 23, 2018
- Partner Robert S. Marticello is quoted by Forbes and Variety -
Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2018/02/26/as-the-weinstein-company-files-for-bankruptcy-whats-next/#59c213c44ecb; Variety: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/weinstein-bankruptcy-big-mess-1202710896/
Feb 27, 2018
- Partner Robert S. Marticello is quoted by multiple sources related to bankruptcy case of East Coast Foods, Inc. -
OC Register: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/22/roscoes-close-to-settling-bankruptcy-debt-of-about-27-million/; NBC Los Angeles: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Roscoes-Parent-Company-Draws-Up-Plan-to-Emerge-From-Bankruptcy-470612913.html; ABI: https://www.abi.org/newsroom/bankruptcy-headlines/roscoes-parent-company-draws-up-plan-to-emerge-from-bankruptcy
Jan 24, 2018
- Robert S. Marticello, Partner of Smiley Wang-Ekvall, Among American Bankruptcy Institute's “40 Under 40” Emerging Leaders Award. -
Dec 8, 2017
- Partner Robert Marticello is quoted by the Hollywood Reporter -
Nov 20, 2017
- Four Firm Partners are Named to “2018 Best Lawyers in America”© List -
Evan D. Smiley, Philip E. Strok, Robert S. Marticello, and Kyra Andrassy have been named Best Lawyers of America in the “Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law” practice area. Both Smiley and Strok have been named Best Lawyers in America consecutively since 2010 and Marticello have been included on the list since 2016. This is the first year Andrassy has been recognized.
Oct 23, 2017
- Lei Lei Wang Ekvall is President of the Legal Aid Society of Orange County -
Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall has been elected to serve as the 2017-2018 president of the Legal Aid Society of Orange County
Oct 23, 2017
- Lei Lei Wang Ekvall is a Member of the Board of Directors of the LABF -
Partner Lei Lei Wang Ekvall has been appointed to the board of directors of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
Oct 23, 2017
- Partner selected to serve as the secretary of the Insolvency Law Committee of the State Bar of California -
Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP congratulates its partner, Kyra E. Andrassy, on her selection as secretary of the Insolvency Law Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California for the 2017-2018 term.
Sep 12, 2017
- Partner Selected to Serve as Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference Program Chair -
Smiley Wang Ekvall congratulates its partner, Autumn D. Spaeth, on her selection as Program Chair for the 2018 Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, a position generally reserved for judges within the Ninth Circuit.
Jul 24, 2017
- Two Smiley Wang-Ekvall Partners Serve as Speakers at the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference -
On July 18, 2017, Partners Autumn Spaeth and Robert Marticello served as Speakers for the Bankruptcy Bench/Bar Breakout Session at the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference held in San Francisco. Mr. Marticello, Central District of California Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, spoke on a panel entitled "Judicial Estoppel and Bankruptcy Cases: Inconsistent Positions, Judicial Integrity, and Unfair Advantage." Ms. Spaeth, Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee and member of the Ninth Circuit’s Conference Executive Committee, moderated a panel entitled "Save Time, Expense, and Trees: How and Why to Make Paperless Trials a Reality for Your Court."
Jul 24, 2017
- Robert Marticello selected to serve as a Lawyer Representative for the Central District of California -
Smiley Wang-Ekvall congratulates its partner, Robert Marticello, on his selection as a Lawyer Representative for the Central District of California for the 2016-2019 term.
Jul 24, 2017
- Autumn D. Spaeth Serves as Co-Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Conference of Chief Bankruptcy Judges, Clerks and Lawyer Representatives -
Partner Autumn D. Spaeth served as Co-Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Conference of Chief Bankruptcy Judges, Clerks and Lawyer Representatives held in Seattle. March 2017
Mar 21, 2017
- Autumn D. Spaeth Serves as Co-Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Conference of Chief District Judges and Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee -
Partner Autumn D. Spaeth served as Co-Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Conference of Chief District Judges and Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee held in San Diego. February 2017
Mar 21, 2017
- Autumn D. Spaeth to Serve as Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee -
Partner Autumn D. Spaeth has been selected to serve as the Chair of the Ninth Circuit’s Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee (LRCC) which is composed of the chairperson or co-chairs of each delegation of Lawyer Representatives from all of the Circuit’s fifteen districts. The LRCC acts as a liaison for the Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference Executive Committee and participates in the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Chief District Judges Conference and Chief Bankruptcy Judges Conference. Currently the Circuit has 168 Lawyer Representatives. September 2016
Mar 21, 2017
- Partner Kraig Kilger Guides Huntington Beach Hilton in $140 Million Deal -
HB Hilton in $140M Deal, Orange County Business Journal, February 29, 2016
Mar 1, 2016
- Four Partners are Southern California Super Lawyers -
Smiley Wang-Ekvall congratulates its partners, Kyra E. Andrassy, Evan D. Smiley, Autumn D. Spaeth, and Lei Lei Wang Ekvall, on their selection as 2016 Southern California Super Lawyers.
Feb 26, 2016
- The Orange County Bankruptcy Forum honors Lei Lei Wang Ekvall with its 2015 Hon. Peter M. Elliott Award -
On December 1, 2015, the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum honored Lei Lei Wang Ekvall with its prestigious 2015 Hon. Peter M. Elliott Award. The award is given annually to a legal professional who demonstrates substantial knowledge of bankruptcy law, serves as a mentor or educator within the community, possesses the highest level of honesty, and works to enhance and improve access to justice.
Dec 8, 2015
- Kyra E. Andrassy to Serve on Insolvency Law Committee of the State Bar -
Partner Kyra E. Andrassy has been selected by the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California to serve as a member of its Insolvency Law Committee.
Sep 15, 2015
- Three Firm Partners Named to "2016 Best Lawyers in America"(c) List -
Evan D. Smiley, Philip E. Strok, and Robert S. Marticello have been named Best Lawyers of America in the "Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law" practice area. Both Smiley and Strok have been named Best Lawyers in America consecutively since 2010. This is the first year Marticello has been included on the list.
Sep 15, 2015
- Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP, Named a Tier 1 Firm by U.S. News & World Report -
Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP, has been named a Tier 1 firm for Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law by U.S. News & World Report for 2016.
Jul 7, 2015
- Evan D. Smiley and Autumn D. Spaeth led efforts to defeat Stillwater's $50 million suit in bankruptcy court (Law360, New York, June 23, 2015) -
Evan D. Smiley and Autumn D. Spaeth, partners of Smiley Wang-Ekvall, led the charge for twenty-seven defendants in seeking the dismissal of more than $50 million in claims asserted by the estate representative for Stillwater Asset Backed Offshore Fund Ltd. and other related funds. At the hearing on the motion to dismiss Stillwater's complaint filed by Smiley and Spaeth, the Bankruptcy Court expressed a number of concerns with Stillwater's claims and required additional briefing from Stillwater and other parties.
Jun 25, 2015
- Robert Marticello sworn in as president of the California Bankruptcy Forum -
Robert S. Marticello, a partner of Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP, was recently installed as the 2015-2016 president of the California Bankruptcy Forum, a state-wide organization that focuses on ensuring the highest standards of practice in bankruptcy and insolvency law.
May 26, 2015
- Autumn D. Spaeth installed as a director of the Orange County Bar Association -
Autumn D. Spaeth, a partner of Smiley Wang-Ekvall, LLP, has been installed as a member of the Orange County Bar Association Board of Directors and selected to serve as Vice Chair of the Ninth Circuit's Lawyer Representative Coordinating Committee.
May 12, 2015